Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Post Everyone* Has Been Waiting For

*by everyone I mean the few people who read this blog and are very bored... (ahem.. Gilli)
My first day outfit
Sorry this is so untimely, I just totally gave up on the blog for a while, but I'm back and devoted (I think).

The first question everyone asked me after Tuesday (my first day at Teen Vogue) was "What did you wear?" I'll admit picking an outfit was terrifying. I called my dad 3 times for fashion advice before my first day at Universal (sure, I took Mom's advice too but since my dad has to show his face in that office occasionally I figure it's his reputation on the line. Because, you know, record execs SOOOO notice/care what your daughter wears) and let's just say the outfit for TV was a billion times more important. Even though I'm not in the fashion department, I always like to present myself well, especially in the midst of fashion editors, models, and straight up fashionistas/style icons.

This is what I think about the outfit for the first day of anything (especially a fashion-oriented job): Obviously it's important; it's the first impression. But the thing is, while you totally want to rock it, you can't go full out because a) you want to scope out the attire in the office. Imagine how embarrassing a totally inappropriate an OTT outfit would be. and b) (which was more my concern at Vogue while point a was bigger at Universal) you don't know if you'll actually be seeing many people your first day. Depressing or depressing?: wasting your best outfit only to spend the majority of the day dealing with HR never seeing your main coworkers.

Last weekend I figured I should probably figure out what I was going to wear my first day. Of course, after going through my closet, I went through a major freakout-- I had NOTHING to wear! Finally I settled on an outfit (pictured above): My fab new Matthew Williamson for Impulse tunic (I still can't believe that I got something designed by the fab Matthew Williamson for $35 (I was devestated when I missed his H&M collection and even that was for sure pricier) and I didn't have to hire someone to wait in line like we did for Lanvin at H&M or wake up insanely early like I did for Zac Posen at Target), my new navy shorts I got last week in Soho at LF, my go-to vintage beige Chanel purse, these great gold and turquoise clover hoops from my Mommy, and of course no outfit would be complete without a pair of Ray-Bans (I opted for the Wayfarers over Aviators not necessarily because of the outfit but because they're classic me (that sounds a bit pretentious...)). But what about shoes? I was freaking out because All of my heels/wedges have black (my mom "doesn't feel comfortable" (quote from me, not her) pairing  navy and black-- a fashion no-no I'm actually okay with) except for my Louboutin booties which matched perfectly but could be used on war prisoners as a method of torture (but they're sooo pretty!). Also, while my roomie told me she was a size 8, she must really be a 9 because the great white Prada wedges of hers she suggested were way too big. I finally gave up on the hope of wedges (TV interns always suggest flats anyway) and opted for nude patent leather Steve Madden ballet flats.

Enough about the clothes! Technically, I'm not allowed to blog about my internship at all (I signed a contract). So I can't give specifics about the job, but I can tell you what it was like.

Walking into the Conde Nast building was surreal. Here I was, home to the fashion mecca that is the Vogue offices, living out my fantasy. I was stepping into the same building that is base for Anna Wintour, orchestrator of the entire fashion world. I freaked out walking past the racks of clothes as I entered the Teen Vogue offices. PS, advantage of TV over Vogue: we share a floor with the GQ offices... can you say eye candy???!!!!

Also, I did get 1 compliment on my outfit that day. Unfortunately, it wasn't from anyone at Teen Vogue, but from the girl working at The Counter (the burger place, not the counter at 4 Times Square).

No comments:

Post a Comment